Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Upstream Lies Adventure

Last week the Colour Collective prompt was 'Warm Grey V' and I wanted to do something with an animal. I discounted elephants because I had already used them for several Colour Collective prompts, and was still trying to settle on another grey animal when the final episode of Brian Cox's Forces of Nature appeared on television - with some segments shot in Iceland, with lots of grey rocks and bright grasses. So I changed my ideas completely, and decided to create a piece more focused on the background than the character:


I'm still working on putting texture into my illustrations, so this was an excellent exercise. I had a lot of fun with all the rock surfaces and grasses, and it was very meditative to work on - which was especially handy as my business email was down from Monday to Thursday night and I was a bit stressed, especially after trying to deal with tech support. It's always good to have something peaceful to work on under such circumstances!

For my character I decided on a mouse, because I always enjoy drawing them. He's got a packed lunch tied to his staff, because I also enjoy drawing berries. =) His cloak is a nice splash of colour in the overwhelmingly green and grey illustration, I think. 

About 5 hours in Photoshop CC 2015 on a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2. I googled a lot of references, but none of them were used directly, just to inform my drawing, especially when it came to the flowers and grasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...