Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Tropical Island

I had slightly more free time last week, and I wanted to create a Colour Collective piece that could actually make it into my portfolio, rather than just a quick sketch. The colour was 'lightning bug', an electric yellow. The obvious route there would be to do a scene with fireflies, but I wanted to do something different. It's been wet and cold here, so something tropical seemed like a nice thing to work on.


Here's a progress gif with a couple of stages:


As you can see, I didn't spend much time on the sketch, just got the basic idea down. When drawing coral reefs and lots of fish, I think it's much more fun to work out what you're going to actually include as you go. I used the yellow colour in the sand, some of the fish, the girl's bathers and the boys sunglasses. A lot of people were rather daunted by the brightness of the colour, I think, but I love working with bright colours!

For this illustration I used Adobe Photoshop CC2015 on a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 - and I used Kyle Webster's brushes, mainly the China Marker and Gouache a Go Go.

Here's a hyperlapse video of me painting one of the fish, which I posted on Instagram:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...