Saturday, April 2, 2016

Let's Play!

After the popularity of last week's Colour Collective I thought I would do another drawing of my dog Myrna for the Leaf Green prompt. Sometimes, often while we're on the oval, she goes completely hyperactive and skitterish (and borderline insane), and looks really cheeky - which I thought went well with the fresh, spring-like green. 


Originally I experimented with putting a whole background in, but then I told myself no, I am supposed to be working on not putting insane amounts of detail into everything and deleted it. I think this simpler version works much better, and goes better with the first one. And this one is proving popular on twitter too, which makes me very happy! 

Here's a progress gif showing the three messy sketches I did before I put on the solid colours and shading. As you can see, I had the most trouble with the tongue. I don't actually have a photo of Myrna being this hyperactive, she always does it where the light is bad (thus necessitating a slow shutter speed) and then moves like lightning. So with no reference, there was a lot of trial and error to get the expression just right!


I'm having such fun with these. I wonder if I can work Myrna into the next Colour Collective as well - which is Pearl. I am thinking Labrador friends....

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 on a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2. About four hours (Which is too long, but I'm still working on this style...) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...