Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Illustration: Ahmali

Remember my Colour Collective Aubergine? I said I'd like to work up the general pose into something better... and I wanted some more book covers for my portfolio, so I've come up with this:


This picture inspired my friend Makenzi Crouch to muck about with a bit of a story for this character, to go with the cover - so when it came time to add text, I used her name instead of coming up with a random imaginary author. And let's face it, she's got a pretty awesome name for an author, hasn't she?

Here's the cover without the text:


I really just let this piece go where it wanted, which was fun. I didn't have anything I had to keep in mind, no specific character to draw, no specific scene, no client to please - I just started with a fuzzy photo reference of myself in the pressed-against-the-wall pose, decided that the vastness of space outside would make the nowhere-else-to-go idea more dramatic... and then I just had fun with the costume and a general sci-fi atmosphere.

Here's a progress gif showing how this came together:


Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 on a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...