Monday, June 29, 2015

Portrait: Patrick Macnee

The Avengers (the cult British show, not the comic series, and not the awful 90s movie) has always been my favourite tv show, ever since I first saw it when I was in primary school, so I was sad to hear that Patrick Macnee, who played the debonair, eccentric and slightly slippery John Steed in both The Avengers in the 1960s and The New Avengers in the 1970s, had died. He was 93, so he was allowed to go, but it was still sad - so many iconic figures have gone this year - Terry Pratchett and Leonard Nimoy to name only two others.

I've always wanted to do a full illustration of all of the characters featured in the show, but I've never got round to it; so I did a little portrait of Macnee as John Steed, as a tribute piece. And here it is.


I used a couple of photos from "The Avengers: A Celebration" so that I could combine the expression and costume that I wanted. I drew and painted it freehand in Adobe Photoshop CC on a Wacom Cintiq Companion. I didn't want to push for full photo-realism and stuck with a semi-caricatured style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...