Thursday, June 5, 2014

Watercolour: Sleeping Beauty

Still waiting on clients, so I've been able to keep having some fun with daily sketch topics on Twitter. This one was the @sketch_dailies topic a couple of days ago – Sleeping Beauty –, and gave me an excuse to revisit a sketch I did many years ago:


This is done with Winsor & Newton Watercolours and a Pentel Brush Pen in my neglected Moleskine watercolour sketchbook. I'm currently working on a much tighter watercolour, and it was fun to splash around a bit more as a break!

Here's the sketch. I did most of it sitting in bed; there'd been a bit of a fight in the street outside, not a bad one, but I was feeling a bit nervy and wanted to calm down before going to sleep. The next day I made a few adjustments in Photoshop, because I always get wonky proportions when sketching in bed:


And here's the original sketch. I'm not entirely sure when I did it, from the looks of it about 2003, I suppose. I remember liking it at the time, and about 2006 I scanned it into my computer to try and fix it up with full digital colour... but it wasn't doing what I wanted and was abandoned. I think I've definitely improved in the meantime (and so I would hope!)


About one hour altogether, including the sketch... maybe an hour and a half.

1 comment:

  1. Adorable, I love it! Love the looseness of the colours on such precise lines.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...