Friday, January 10, 2014

Illustration: Sneezing

This was my entry to the 2014 Tomie de Paola award over at the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. The winners have now been announced (not me, alas, tis ever my lot in life) so I've dug it out to post here. 

The prompt was for a book for babies (2 months to 2 years), 8"x8", illustrating the small poem 'A sneeze is a breeze in your nose', and it was noted that America is a country of diverse ethnicity and the illustrations should reflect that. 


I wanted to include motion somehow, which was a bit tricky with the square format, so as so many baby books include flaps and the like I chose to do a moving circle to follow the progression of a sneeze and mocked-up the illustration to indicate that. 

I would have liked to have been a bit more creative as to style, but I had such a lot to do on top of this that I ended up doing something that I knew I could do quickly and decently.


Adobe Photoshop with a Wacom Intuos 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...