Monday, January 9, 2012

Sketch: Village

First sketch in my new sketchbook for 2012. I managed to neatly finish my last sketchbook right at the end of December. ^.^ This would have been finished earlier, therefore, but I was quite busy, and on top of that I've been in bed with a very nasty migraine for the last two days. I am not impressed! Hopefully I'll be getting plenty done this week!

The starting point for this was a photograph my friend's father took of Rastoke in Croatia. It doesn't look like Rastoke any more, although the central buildings and the large bridge are quite heavily influenced by the photograph. After that I just added lots of buildings over the course of a few days. I was fascinated by the concept of a village built pretty much on top of a waterfall. 


0.5 mechanical pencil with #B lead in a Moleskine Sketchbook

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so detailed! I'm terrible at drawing architecture - is it one of those things you just have to do from a reference?

    - Victoria
    (http://raindropsandmoonlight.blogspot.con)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Architecture is not one of my strong points, Victoria – or rather perspective isn't, so I keep practicing, because I'll never get better if I don't work at it! Nice wonky fairytale-style buildings are a good thing to do – they don't have to be perfect! I find a reference photo is a help, although this sketch strays a lot from the original. Here's a link to a similar photo so you can see what sort of thing I was working with:
    http://www.paulbpix.com/albums/v/test2/flickr_owner_35386230_N00_id_72157607911652161/2928765830_d4863a01a9_o.jpg.html
    Basically I took the idea and ran with it, most of the time without even having the original at hand. =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is enthralling, one of those pictures you can just sink into while your imagination weaves stories to match.

    It brings to mind adventures from Emily Rodda's Deltora Quest or similar.
    .

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...