Friday, May 13, 2011

Sketch: A Lot of Hair

I posted this last night, but it appears to have completely vanished, which is a bit bizarre. So here we go again. I apologise if this turns out to be a repeat broadcast.

A little warm-up to get me back into drawing mode. I've been sick for over a week; just got over a sinus infection, and I caught a nasty cold, so for several days I didn't even pick up a pencil. On wednesday I curled up with the tisses and the dvd of Tangled, which was just released here, and discovered through the special features that it's apparently set in the 18th century. Now, I love the movie, but surely there's a missed opportunity here? What's the one thing everyone knows about 18th century fashion? Right – Biiiig hair. With boats in. 


So I sketched this. It's a long time since I did anything with really silly elaborate hair, so it was fun and relaxing to do. I didn't really base it on any 18th century hairstyles – the closest I got to those is the general bouffiness and the looped ringletty things. But I managed to include not only a boat, but also a tower and a magical flower. I could have gone taller, but I was using an A6 offcut of my least-favourite watercolour paper, and ran out of room. I used a screenshot as reference for the face, and looked at The Art of Tangled for the boat, tower and flower, but mostly I just had fun going crazy with the hair. 

PITT artists' pens in sepia on watercolour paper, coloured in Photoshop CS4 with a Wacom Intuos 3, with an overlayed texture from cgtextures.com, as the paper texture didn't scan too well. 
1 to 1.5 hours, maybe a tad more. 

3 comments:

  1. Hihihi I love this! What a pretty illustration in its silliness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you! I love drawing silly costumes and hair, and it was fun to not have to worry about realism in *any* way, shape or form! =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now all she needs is a whirlpool.
    I love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...