Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Painting: Tilly

This is my gorgeous friend on her wedding day. She's very kindly given me permission to post this.  =)

This was never meant to be anything spectacular, I just wanted to try my hand at watercolouring a portrait, which isn't something I've ever done before. I cracked, and used some coloured pencil in the background and in her hair, partly because I was in a hurry to get it finished; work had appeared, and I couldn't leave the masking fluid on the paper for ever! 
Obviously I still have a way to go with watercolour portraits, but I don't think it's too bad for a first attempt. I'll have to try some more some time. =) I certainly haven't managed to bring in the contrast that I like to have in my work, but it's a start. 

Winsor & Newton Watercolours, Reeves watercolour paper, Prismacolour coloured pencils.


Here's the original sketch:


And because anyone I have photos of is fair game, here are two further sketches of her, done some months ago, after her engagement party. She's very sketchable (and very photogenic). 


All of these are from photos taken by me. I took lots at the engagement party. The wedding photo was a spur of the moment shot, for which I swiped my father's camera. I wasn't carrying a camera that day. 

1 comment:

  1. They are beautiful. The squatting pose is an original and sweet angle for a portrait.
    Although colour is a feast for the eye, I rather like the monochrome versions.
    Personality shows up in these nicely!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...